There are several reasons to recycle old electronics, like that VCR from 1985, laying around the house. Not only does throwing them away fill landfills but materials from old electronics can be used to produce new products reducing the need to manufacture new materials. Also, many electronics can contain heavy metals such as lead and can emit greenhouse gases that are bad for the environment.
Most cities have several drop off centers, many of which are independent electronics stores or national chains like Best Buy. Or a simple Google search will find companies in your area for drop off locations or to schedule pick up. if you have a lot of items. If you are looking for your company scheduling pick up with your local recycling company would be your best bet.
- Old cell phones
- Televisions and Computer Monitors
- Computers and Equipment (modems, hard drives, etc)
- Many more!
- See if a friend, family member, or neighbor would want it
- Contact a local shelter, charity, or group living facility
- Post it for free on a site like OfferUp or Facebook Marketplace
- Find a local resale shop or Salvation Army Donation Center